Barwon Heads have recorded a gutsy 41 point victory over top of the ladder side Geelong Amateurs away in the final home and away game of 2019. A double chance was on the line and the Heads made four changes to the side that defeated Ocean Grove in Round 17 – back into the side came vice captain Ned Aulsebrook, forward Chris Martin, on baller Ben Stephens and Luke Michell was promoted for his first senior game for 2019. Out of the side went Max Melzer with injury and Matt Beckwith, Harrison Mitchell and Darcy Hewitt were dropped to our Reserves side. Barwon Heads who were out of the top 5 at the half way mark of the season with a 5/4 win loss ratio, rallied in the second half of the season to claim second spot on the ladder by winning 8 of our final 9 games with the only loss by 2 points away to Anglesea two weeks ago.

In bright sunny conditions Barwon Heads had the worse possible start by losing key forward Brad Harvey in the opening 3 minutes of the game. Amateurs got the opening goal through key forward Jarrod Young but J-Mac replied with the Heads first goal. Braeden Eddy, Ryan Harvey, Otto Opperman, Ned Aulsebrook and Brock Close were all prominent early as Mitch Phelps, Otto and J-Mac all hit the scoreboard to establish an early lead. Ben Stephens, Tim Chapman and Xavier Everett were also prominent in the first quarter.

The Ammos kicked the opening goal in the second quarter through key forward Mitch Day and Jarrod Young quickly added his second to reduce the lead. James Wills received a free kick and 50 metre penalty to convert and then playing coach Mitch Herbison kicked consecutive goals. Up back Kyle Polley, Michael Philp, Wayne Barrett and Lachlan Slorach were playing well and Damien Horbury and Zac Walter were great defenders. Ammos Sam Hosking kicked an inspirational goal to again reduce the lead to 19 points at the long break.

The critical third quarter begun with the Heads pressing their advantage but Mitch Day kicked the first goal of the quarter and Brydon Barnett kicked a great snap goal on the run. Matty Dyer and Luke Michell were busy up forward and the seagulls rammed home this advantage with a great goal by Strawbs, a great snap by Zavier Everett and Ryan Harvey. Mitch Herbison kicked his third and then Chris Martin kicked a great set shot goal from the boundary as the Heads led by 39 points at the final break.

The final quarter begun with Jarrod Young receiving a 50 metre penalty to kick his third goal and the Ammos pressed to reduce the lead but the Heads boys stood firm under this onslaught. Mitch Phelps kicked his second major and when Brock Close kicked his first, the Heads led by 8 goals until the Ammos kicked a goal on the final siren.

Barwon Heads 14.9 (93) defeated Geelong Amateurs 8.4 (52)

GOALKICKERS : Herbison 3, Phelps 2, McLauchlan 2, Opperman 1, Horbury 1, Martin 1, Ryan Harvey 1, Close 1, Everett 1, Wills 1

BEST PLAYERS : Horbury, Eddy, Chapman, McLauchlan,Everett, Polley


Barwon Heads reserves recorded a convincing 43 point victory over Geelong Amateurs which sent them toppling out of the top 5 and allowed Ocean Grove to grab 5th spot on the ladder.

The Heads led all game and it was a great team effort with many contributors.

Barwon Heads 11.9 (75) defeated Geelong Amateurs 5.2 (32)

GOALKICKERS : Kinsey 3, Sam Everett 3, McMahon 2, Harmer 1, Michell 1, Swinton 1

BEST PLAYERS : Everett, Swinton, Michell, Pelham, Harrison Mitchell, O’Brien

Next Saturday August 24 Barwon Heads Seniors and Reserves will play in Qualifying Finals at Portarlington against a Torquay in the Seniors and Modewarre in the Reserves.

Get along and support both teams.