Torquay has maintained their unbeaten run in 2021 by overcoming a 15 point half time deficit to overrun Barwon Heads to record a significant victory by 17 points.

Barwon Heads entered the crucial Round 4 game by making 7 changes to the team that defeated Queenscliff. Out of the side went the injured quartet of Mitch Phelps, Otto Opperman, Lachlan Slorach and Matthew Knox, Cam O’Leary was unavailable, Xavier Everett was ill and Koban Treweek was omitted. In exciting news for the Barwon Heads Football Club, four of our Geelong Falcons representatives in Archie Hildebrandt, Sam Witherden, Flynn Young and Oli Wiltshire were selected as well as Sam Allen, Sam Harris and the returning Damien Horbury.

Hildebrandt, Young and Wiltherden were making their debut, Wiltshire his third appearance, Allen his second and Harris returning after two knee reconstructions.

In a blistering opening quarter, Barwon Heads seemed inspired by their youthful inclusions by kicking 5 goals to 1 and probably had opportunities to have a bigger lead than the 27 points at the first break. Zac Wright kicked the opening goal and was quickly followed by Kyle Polley before debutants Hildebrandt and Flynn Young hit the scoreboard before Nathan Brown kicked a major on the siren. Sam Caruso kicked the Tigers only goal of the quarter.

Torquay rallied in the second quarter with experienced spearhead Paul McMahon kicking two goals followed by majors to Holmes, Currie and Doyle to get the margin  back to 3 points before the Heads hit back with the last two goals of the quarter through  Young and Horbury.

It was a high quality game and both sides lost players through injury and Torquay now begun to dominate the midfield and in particular the clearances. James Darke was the dominant player on the ground and he kicked consecutive goals as the Tigers hit the lead for the first time in the game. Weylin Doyle was also having a presence up forward as he registered his 3rd goal. Both Hildebrandt and Horbury kicked their second goals to keep the difference at 9 points at the last break.

Torquay opened the last quarter by continuing their accuracy in front of goal by kicking the first two goals of the quarter. Barwon Heads wouldn’t lay down and despite dominating possession and territory, poor entries into our forward 50 saw many opportunities squandered. Sam Witherden kicked a great snap goal but several set shots missed their mark before Torquay kicked the final goal through veteran Roscoe Holmes.

Torquay 15.2 (92) defeated Barwon Heads 11.9 (75)

GOALKICKERS: Polley 2, Hildebrandt 2, Flynn Young 2, Horbury 2, Wright 1, Brown 1, Witherden 1

BEST PLAYERS: Spiteri, Harris, Jacobs, Witherden, Brown, Mitchell


Barwon Heads have won the battle at Reserves level of the undefeated sides to defeat their nemesis by 45 points. In a high quality game for Reserves level, Barwon Heads had many good contributors and played 4 consistent quarters.

Barwon Heads 13.12 (90) defeated Torquay 6.9 (45)

GOALKICKERS : Nairn 5, Urquhart 4, Booth 2, Swinton 1, Sutton 1

BEST PLAYERS : Paulin, Stainsby, Urquhart, Treweek, Avery, Chapman

Next Saturday 2nd May in Round 5 action, Barwon Heads host Ocean Grove in the next edition of the Battle of the Bridge. A big day is anticipated with a Past Player and Official function organised for this day.

Get along and support both our footballers and netballers next Saturday.

Go Heads !!